I saw OWS people trying, not to integrate with but to change the direction of the route. I saw OWS people screaming for everyone to go to Zuccotti Park. After seeing this and then seeing the arguments of people saying that this was not about OWS, only to have the OWS people say that it WAS, I became physically ill. If there was ever a time when you should have worked to keep the focus on the actual cause, this was it […]
He tried to remain calm while he explained what he saw. He saw the same thing that I did. Only in a different form and at a different location. He saw OWS people yelling that it wasn’t about race and that it would be best to incorporate this into the OWS movement.
This behavior is unacceptable.
These are real concerns. They are legitimate concerns. Listen to what people have to say without being patronizing. That people in this movement are acting like this is a serious problem (and don’t think for a second this is an isolated incident) and this blog will no longer turn a blind eye to it.
Including concerns of POC, women, queer folk, etc. does not mean making them take a back seat to what you think the “real issues” should be, and it does not mean making them assimilate into what you think the movement should be. It is a racist, imperialist attitude and it is an insult to the democratic ideals this movement was supposed to have been built on.
In no way is the idea that we should figure out economic issues first and get to everyone else later acceptable. In no way is deriding people’s concerns because you think yours come first acceptable.
I care about this movement and I have since the beginning, but it is worthless - absolutely worthless - while these serious problems go un-addressed, and while we continue to let racist, alienating garbage dominate the discussion. Read this post, listen to other concerns, learn what the fuck intersectionality is, and use your goddamn brains.
These concerns aren’t “divisive,” your bullshit is.
- turnvias likes this
- tessaracked reblogged this from occupywallstreet
- artblackafrica likes this
- amlakzufan likes this
- ihavenostrings likes this
- blazintommyd likes this
- brujacore likes this
- arnoldsnarb reblogged this from occupywallstreet
- yousyoukay reblogged this from seymourbuhts
- suck-bick-ditch reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- propoleno reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- i---ickk likes this
- superfuntimedeluxe likes this
- livinglogic likes this
- inspirement reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- imbodybeautiful reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- kissingrevolution likes this
- rmimms likes this
- cuhristeena reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- we-are-all-made-0f-stars reblogged this from theamericanbear and added:
- we-are-all-made-0f-stars likes this
- everythingisacasestudy likes this
- angelindiskies likes this
- bitterblackunicorn reblogged this from occupywallstreet
- sarahlee310 likes this
- knittingknots reblogged this from occupywallstreet
- mizmlee likes this
- littlemissbuzzybuzz likes this
- circuitsmaximus likes this
- danidandidaneee reblogged this from occupywallstreet and added:
- danidandidaneee likes this
- truthaliar likes this
- seymourbuhts reblogged this from occupywallstreet and added:
- femme-in-floral likes this
- resmc likes this
- lunaticprophet reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- tw3news reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- commiekinkshamer reblogged this from occupywallstreet
- kilgore-trout9 likes this
- spartanninja reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- sol-psych likes this
- troublesim likes this
- doangivadam reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- glompcat likes this
- howlingdark likes this
- arnoldsnarb likes this
- randomactsofchaos reblogged this from theamericanbear
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- midwestmotherfucker reblogged this from anarcho-queer