Quebec Student Strike: Police attack demonstration in Montreal, student “may lose the use of an eye” after flashbang fired into his face

Montreal police will investigate after a 22-year-old man said his eye was badly injured by the blast of a police stun grenade during Wednesday’s student protest over tuition fee hikes.

Francis Grenier, a student at Cégep de Saint-Jérôme, told CBC News from his hospital bed that he doesn’t know if he’ll regain vision in his right eye.

Student movement leaders are calling him a victim of police brutality and are accusing riot squad officers of overreacting after snowballs were launched during the afternoon protest on Sherbrooke Street.

Grenier said he was in front of the Loto-Québec headquarters Wednesday afternoon playing the harmonica when an officer told him to leave.

TVA also reports that apparently after Grenier ran from the scene badly injured to find help from a police officer, the officer refused to help him or to call him an ambulance. He was eventually helped to the hospital by fellow students.

Mayors of Toronto and Québec City seek to shut down Occupy protests

From the CBC in Toronto:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is expected to meet with city officials this week to look for a peaceful way to end the Occupy Toronto protest at St. James Park.

Hundreds of tents - including three $20,000 yurts paid for by a local union - dot the park at the corner of Church Street and King Street East.

Occupy Toronto, now in its 19th day, has morphed into a makeshift community complete with a library, food supplies and about two dozen portable toilets…

In response to his concerns, [a local business owner] received an email this week from Ford saying, “When it is determined that we no longer have a peaceful protest, but rather an occupation of the park, we will consider options to remove the individuals who are camping in the park.”

And from Radio-Canada in Québec City:

The mayor of Québec City is asking some 50 protesters with the “Occupy Québec City” movement to voluntarily leave the Place de l’Université-du-Québec in the Saint-Roch district where they have been for twelve days.

Mayor Régis Labeaume announced his decision Thursday morning. He warned the protesters that they should leave the Place in the coming hours; failing this, the police will take action to dismantle the camp.

[The City administration] has cited security reasons to justify this decision. Wednesday, after leaving an emergency meeting at Québec City Hall, the mayor had said that he was very concerned about the situation.