Send a letter to the NYPD expressing your solidarity with the protesters and urging the police to exercise restraint. Also, tell them the world is watching. And thank them for all their hard work.
Imagine what affect it would have if the police got 100,000,000 letters of support for the protesters. Edit. x2 It’d be hard for the media to dismiss all the protesters as wackos and hooligans with that outpouring of public support.
- Heres a link for their address: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/home/contact_information.shtml.
- Here is a link to contact the mayor through an online form: http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mayor.html
- Here is an Email form for the NYPD police commissioner.
It goes without saying, but don’t be a douche. Don’t send anything offensive or dangerous.
Do it. It takes 5 minutes.
There is a lot going on this week in the lead up to September 17th. First off, for some inspiration check out all the solidarity movements around the world.
Meetings & Training:
- USDR is hosting non violent civil disobedience training Friday @ 6:30. See the details and location on the calendar page or on USDR calendar.
- There will be a Tactical Committee Meeting Wednesday, 7pm Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn
- There will be Art & Culture meetings Tuesday and Thursday to discuss activities. Learn more on the calendar page
- Time’s Up will be hosting critical mass style ALL NIGHT rides though the Wall st. area. Meet at Tompkins sq park at 7pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (9/16-18) to join the ride. More info on their calendar page
- There is an event for NY Students Rising September 16, Friday 5:00pm Hunter College
- NYC General Assembly calendar
- There will be a Open General Assembly September 17th, Saturday 3:00pm at Chase Manhattan Plaza.
- NYCGA - September 17th Legal Fact Sheet - Download PDF flyer
- USDR has created an crowd source map for the occupation.
- USDR also has legal information reviewed by the National Lawyers Guild. Check out the USDR resources page. Also take a look at their tactics cheat sheet
- The General Assembly, in association with a number of activists around the world, has set up a live “TV” channel called Global Revolution
- The New York City General Assembly has a website up with minutes from the 9/10 meeting.
- Check out the Occupy Wall Street subreddit for discussion and info.
- HOTLINE FOR ARRESTS September 17, National Lawyers Guild: (212) 679-6018. If you will be at the action write this down on your arm. It was recommended to call them if you hear of an arrest or if you are arrested
Things you can help with:
- The Food Committee is working on feeding people at the occupation, if you can PLEASE DONATE. Contact CunderscoreG@gmail.com to see how you can help food committee
- If you are in the NYC area and can host fellow brothers and sisters, someone is gathering volunteers to help provide access to board & bathe logistical spaces for out-of-towners click here to view the google doc
- Contact the NYCPD expressing your solidarity with the protesters and urging the police to exercise restraint. Also, tell them the world is watching. And thank them for all their hard work. Email form for the NYPD police commissioner. Contact the mayor
On Sept. 17, the Arab Spring becomes the new American Fall, with 20,000 revolutionaries in a tent city. Plus “solidarity” occupations in major financial centers worldwide, all ready for a long siege, vowing not to leave till they get their “one simple demand.” […]
Their allies have names like “CultureJammers,” “USDayofRage.org,” “People of the NYC General Assembly,” “TaketheSquare.net,” and recently they were joined by the noted civil disobedience anarchists, “Anonymous” and many others worldwide. This movement reminds us of the historic rag-tag armies General Washington commanded from 13 Colonies for the first American Revolution. […]
Warning: Ignore this rebellion at your peril. Reading their materials reveals a deeply frustrated, angry, fed up army of revolutionaries. Like their “Arab Spring” brothers,
The new American revolutionaries are no longer interested in talk. They want action.
On Labor day tweet @KeithOlbermann @TMorello @MMFlint @CornellWest @DylanRatigan
Tweet @ each of them individually tagged #occupywallst
Ask them for their help and support, basically for their voice. Be interesting, funny, and/or persuasive, stroke egos.
“End American plutocracy. Sept 17th #occupywallst. Lend us your voice Mike. @MMFlint
“This is the last Labor Day we celebrate in bad faith. #occupywallst needs your voice @KeithOlbermann”
If you don’t have a twitter, get one (or two actually) and do this, Between them, they have millions of followers, viewers, active supporters, and fans. Tweets seem stupid I know, but if they mean a few hundred or a few thousand more attendees, they could bring us to critical mass; we can begin the end of corporate rule-by-wealth. Time is becoming crucial. Please do this.
#OWS makes the news at The Daily Caller, a conservative media outlet, equivalent to The Huffington Post.
The protesters claim corporate influence has corrupted the country, and that their occupation of Wall Street and smaller demonstrations in other financial centers on Sept. 17 will get the message out.
“[O]ur representatives are bought by hard and soft dollars and we’ve created a system essentially, within our institutions, where disloyal, incompetent, and wasteful special interests can basically usurp and have our nation’s civil and military power,” Alexa O’Brian, founder of US Day of Rage, one of the organizing groups, told The Daily Caller.
According to another coordinating group, Occupy Wall Street, the plan is to use the Arab Spring as a model for change.
“When our leaders can no longer be trusted, it becomes the duty of the people to fight for social justice,” Occupy Wall Street explains on its website. “The Arab Spring tactic has proven itself effective in forcing governments to bow to the will of the people. We believe this tactic can also work in America.”